The week between Christmas and the New Year always seems to go one of two ways…and go hard.
It’s either a time warp where you forget you’re employed, time doesn’t exist and the re-entry to your regular, human life is brutal. Or, you have a ton of things to do and you feel like you went to bed the night after Christmas and woke up on January 2 of the next year with no relaxation or pause in your “normal life” at all.
May I propose a middle path—complete with alliteration, no less!—to combine the two for a kinder, gentler holiday break this year.
Five Ideas That All Start with “R” Because, Why Not? In a Loose Order:
- Read. Don’t complain about not having the time. This is your time. Read from the time you wake up till you go to bed at least one day. It is luxurious—ask me how I know. It does your addled brain good to take a mental vacation and/or take a deep dive into something rigorous. You will feel virtuous and possibly start a new reading habit that sticks.
- Reconnect. Email or text a friend you haven’t talked to in a long time. Write a couple “Happy New Year” cards and drop them in the mail if you said “Basta!” to Christmas cards this year. Make plans to meet with friends or coworkers for conversations that aren’t work-centric. Don’t overthink it—just enjoy the simplicity and sweetness of letting other people know you dig them.
- Remember. Pause—and maybe write down—what made you feel the best this year? What made you feel the worst? What do you want more of in 2024? What do you need to cut loose?
- Realign. Take a look at that stuff you wrote down while you were remembering. Then make some plans and make some moves. And maybe it’s not super dramatic. Maybe it’s reframing your approach and expectations. You decide, but decide. Be intentional.
- Refresh. Rather than crash into the New Year with 400 resolutions that will make you feel guilty for not keeping up, pick a few things and start them this week. Enter 2024 feeling like you have your shit together. Be the person who “does that” and not the person who “is going to start doing that as soon as the planets align, I lose 15 pounds and get the house painted.” Go get em, tiger.